Pattern review - Tessuti Leni Top in natural washed linen


I’m a bit of a one trick pony at the moment. I have a favourite skirt - it’s a slightly modified, midi length Colette Ginger, made from a heavy black stretch denim. I want to wear this skirt every single day, preferably with an In the Folds/Peppermint Peplum top. Problem is, even for this lover of a personal uniform, this combo may be getting a little too predictable. So I’ve been searching for another top to wear with my basic black skirt, and the Tessuti Leni top looked to be just the thing.


The Leni pattern is a v-necked sleeveless top with some nice top stitched facing details. I love a stitched down neckline facing, and this a proper big feature one. There’s also a topstitched yoke at the back.


Leni is very wide and boxy so it’s perfect for something with a decent amount of drape. I wanted a plain fabric to show the topstitching so chose our lightweight washed natural linen. If you’re happy to really emphasise the wonderful boxiness of this pattern, we think Leni would also work really well in something slightly more structured like a barkcloth.

Because there’s a decent amount of ease in this pattern I made one size down from what I measured for. (If it helps, I measured for the M and made the S).


Tessuti rate this pattern for intermediate sewists. There are a few techniques required like binding, a semi burrito-style yoke attachment and topstitching that do require some experience, but there’s nothing overwhelmingly challenging. Like the other Tessuti patterns I‘ve made, this one is beautifully finished, plus - win - this can easily be knocked over in a couple of short sewing sessions.

Pattern modifications:
- Because I wanted it quite cropped to wear with high waisted skirt, I omitted the wide hem facing. I lengthened the body by about 5cm and gave it a deep hem. The facing is such a nice detail and really balances the garment, so I’m keen to include it next time.
- I didn’t sew the back yoke as directed as I was opting for the top stitched facing option anyhow, so I just finished the hem on the outside back facing, folded back the seam allowance then topstitched it in place.
- I stay stitched the arms and necklines instead of using tear away Vilene. Just a personal preference (usually because I never have any Vilene at hand!)


Verdict:
Love it! Natural linen goes with everything (especially my old friend black), plus the big facing is the perfect place for a brooch.

Download the Tessuti Leni pattern here. You can print it at home (it’s only 30ish pages so not too stick-a-fork-in-your-eye annoying) or there’s a copy shop option. Alternatively you can buy the paper pattern direct from Tessuti.

The washed natural linen is available from us, here. Our other linens can be found here, plus we've got a big lot more winging their way towards us now. 


- Fiona + Jane xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review: In The Folds Jumpsuit (free pattern for Peppermint Magazine)

Care of your Boiled Wool

Boiled Wool Shrug - free tutorial