Pattern Review - Burnside Bibs by Sew House Seven

I'm an overalls fan from way back... from 70s toddler style, through 80s black denim with badges all over the bib, some late 90s op-shop classics, a roomy maternity version and more recently, the overalls' close relatives the jumpsuit and pinafore.
I've been very tempted by the Pauline Alice Turia Dungarees but never quite taken the plunge. And then, just recently, Sew House Seven (of the gorgeous Tea House Dress and popular Toaster Sweater) released the 'Burnside Bibs' pattern. I was smitten.

(Just a little aside for non-Adelaide people, the name Burnside Bibs sounds kinda funny to our ears because Burnside is renowned as a rather toffy area with a rather toffy shopping centre; a not very overalls-ish place at all.)
I digress.
The wide legs and fabulous back strap/belt loop detailing on this pattern elevates it from workwear to stylish casual, and it works in a wide variety of fabrics. This is well demonstrated in the samples shown on the Sew House Seven website, which include rumply linen, a decent weight denim and drapey tencel blend. There are two bib styles to choose from (straight across or scooped top) and the pants can be made in a loose pull-on style or more fitted at the waist, with a side zip.

For a nice warm wintry pair of overalls I chose our Japanese wool blend tweedy herringbone. I like the contrast of this 'serious' type of fabric used in a fun pattern. I made a muslin of the more fitted pants in the size matching my measurements and found the fit to be spot on, hurrah! Being a non-willowy 163cm / 5ft3 I was able to take out 2 inches at the lengthen/shorten lines on the leg pattern pieces and still have a good deep hem for maximum swishiness.
This fabric has a bit of give and I used more interfacing than suggested in the pattern to ensure it wouldn't stretch out in places like the pocket edges, waistband, all edges of the bib facing and straps and belt loops. The pattern came together smoothly, with the fiddliest bit definitely ironing the straps into shape (turn in edges then fold in half), since there was no way I'd attempt a turned strap in this fabric (and the pattern wisely gives both methods to accommodate all fabrics). All facings are stitched down and the inside finish is pleasingly neat.
Inside of the front bib
 This wool blend was a pleasure to work with, taking a steamy iron on wool setting very well. It's definitely warm, but not too heavy, and not at all scratchy against my legs.
My only other deviation from the pattern was to use a regular zip rather than invisible. (I think I did one properly, once, but... eh.) I hand-stitched the facings down to the zip on the inside to finish it off.


And as soon as I had finished that little bit of hand-stitching I put them on and wore them for the next two days straight! And then restrained myself for two days... and now they're back on as I type.



I had a moment when I wondered if these might look better slightly cropped. I'm likely to always wear them with boots anyway. But on the first day of wear I realised I loved the warmth of all that wool and I don't want to lose any of it!

These are so much fun to wear. I feel a bit fancy, and extremely comfortable. The wide legs are quite a style departure for me but I quickly felt at home in them. I love my Burnside Bibs and I think I see a denim version... or maybe a linen one... in my future. The only thing I'd change next time would be to lengthen the bib a bit (probably the equivalent of an FBA in this pattern!).

PATTERN
Burnside Bibs by Sew House Seven (currently pdf only from their website)
Version 1 (darted back), full length
FABRIC
Japanese wool blend herringbone - pattern stated fabric requirement to be 3m for 147cm wide fabric, but I was able to use about half a metre less.
SIZE
12  - pattern goes from US size 00 to 20 so I imagine would fit young teens through to some decent curves.
ALTERATIONS
Shortened legs by 2 inches, interfaced at all likely stretch points, used regular rather than invisible zip.
COMMENTS
Important note! These are actually quite easy to take on and off (including for quick trips to the loo) and do not require the straps to be undone, although I can't speak for the zip-less version. I imagine that would depend on how tightly you tied the straps. Happy dance!

Other fabric suggestions:
Art Gallery Denims
Mid/heavy weight natural linen
10oz black denim
Linen/viscose in Smokey Blue
Nani Iro 100% Linen

- Jane & Fiona xx


Comments

  1. I love these!! They're already in my sewing queue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love them Sarah and the pattern comes together really nicely!

      Delete

Post a Comment

We love to know who's reading and what you think so please leave us a comment! We'll also try to answer any questions you may have.

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review: In The Folds Jumpsuit (free pattern for Peppermint Magazine)

Care of your Boiled Wool

Boiled Wool Shrug - free tutorial