Megan Nielsen Briar Top

Have you used any of Megan Nielsen's lovely patterns? She's based in Perth, but spent a few years in the US recently. Megan has been a delight to deal with when ordering for The Drapery and her patterns have many, many fans across the world.

I've been wanting to try the Briar Top pattern for some time. Here it is in our Tangerine hemp/organic cotton jersey.



This is the cropped option, and I cut the sleeves extra long, because there was enough fabric and I thought the short top with really long sleeves would be a bit fun. I measure closer to size M but made the L because I wanted this to be quite loose for layering. I would definitely cut a size M if I wanted to wear it without a layer underneath.

(Under it I am wearing the Make it Perfect Poppy Tunic, cut shorter than usual.)

The pattern gives two options for the neckline finish. I used the binding option which is quite thick and sturdy - I like it a lot! In fact, I would usually use my overlocker to sew up anything in a knit but I decided to use my regular machine and a small zigzag stitch - partly for ease of matching thread colour, and partly so I could really recommend the pattern to people without an overlocker. In this fabric, at least, I can say it worked a treat.

This fabric is just so soft and drapey and the zigzag stitch mostly disappears into it.

The pattern instructions are great and come in a lovely little stapled booklet, which even has a section in the back for writing your own notes about fabrics, alterations and other things you always think you'll remember for next time.

Want to see more Briars? Check out this lovely Briar by Blogless Anna, which she cut halfway between the cropped and long versions on the pattern, and this one by Inder, with bonus sweet kiddos.

Can you see a Briar in your future?

Pattern and fabric available at The Drapery, of course.

- Jane x

Comments

  1. I fell in love with that Poppy Tunic you were wearing that day I came in to pick up my Megan Nielsen Darling Ranges dress pattern! My dress is still a work in progress.... but I love this combo with the Briar Top AND the Poppy Tunic! Nice work Darl! Ness/Lois xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ness! I hope your Darling Ranges dress turns out well - we'd love you to share a photo of it if you're pleased with the outcome :)

      Delete
  2. Aw, thanks for the shout out! Love your Briar.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love to know who's reading and what you think so please leave us a comment! We'll also try to answer any questions you may have.

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review: In The Folds Jumpsuit (free pattern for Peppermint Magazine)

Care of your Boiled Wool

Boiled Wool Shrug - free tutorial